Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Leah Clearwater 2.0

So, I must say that one of my favorite characters is Leah.  If you're reading my fic 'Immortal' I haven't gotten to Leah yet, but the level of torment and agony that girl goes through in Eclipse (albiet behind the scenes in a sense) must have been monumental.  Can you really blame her for being how she is in Breaking Dawn?  (aka, a heinous bitch 90 percent of the time?)  I really can't.  While I'd love to write a Leah fic, I'm just not sure that I have that much angst in me.   I'll have to leave it to the other authors out there to write a Leah fic.  

That said, I've come up with a compromise by inserting a healthy dose of Seth Clearwater's love sister into Love This Pain.  However, she isn't the Leah that we're all used to.  I give you...

Happy Leah.  


The girl has been through enough, so I wanted to give her a dose of peace.  While I know right off the bat I will get comments about her being out of character, I'm choosing to ignore them.  

First of all, people change and most importantly - grow.  While my Leah has continued to occasionally phase (as we will learn) after meeting her much younger boyfriend Scotty, I do believe that separating herself from a pack and from La Push would have helped her do this.  Why you ask?  Well, she hints at wanting to relocate and get the f*ck out of La Push in BD, I had to give her her wish.  

Besides...Regan and Seth will have enough angst for one story, lol.  I needed to have a strong female come in that is relate able to Regan.  Claire is her friend, but Claire is too perfect.  She's never had her heart stomped on, she's never gotten in trouble, etc.  Claire is too squeaky clean to relate to Regan on the level that Leah will.  Regan has hit rock bottom since arriving in La Push, and the one person who will be able to relate to that is my version of Leah.  

That said, prepare yourself to a different girl than we saw in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn.  I think that getting away from Sam and Emily and the pack and moving to Seattle would have been the absolute best thing for this poor girl, so that's what I've done.  This is a Leah who has gotten up, scraped her heart off the floor, and distanced herself from all sources of pain and strife that have been plaguing her.  She curls her hair.  She wears high heeled boots.  She laughs.  She smiles.  Get used to happy Leah. 

Care for a teaser?

x-x-x-x-x-x

I knew when Leah stepped off the plane, because Sue shrieked with joy and clasped her hands together; I had also seen her high school pictures hanging in the upstairs hallway.  However, the girl that stepped off the tiny plane and into the airport doors was not the same girl that I had seen in the pictures scattered around Sue’s house.  No, that girl was sullen.  She had short, jaggedly cut black hair, a thin, almost slightly sallow looking face in the pictures; that Leah looked serious, almost…disappointed and brooding.  Her dark brown eyes had reminded me of Seth’s, but hers were quiet and flat, not happy and sparkling like his.  However, that had been the girl in the pictures.  

The woman that breezed through the airport doors wasn’t anything like the sullen looking teenager I had seen.  

Her long, lean legs carried her across the distance between us with such grace that it reminded me of the way Alice Cullen had moved; it was like you could have hurled a dozen tennis balls at both of them and they would have gracefully avoided both of them without spilling their coffee.   Leah moved like that.  She wore high heeled boots, dark, straight jeans, and a fuzzy white sweater that hung off her coppery shoulder.  A belt was cinched snugly around her waist, showing off her trim figure and long, gazelle like body.  The white color made her beautiful skin glow such a beautiful color that it almost hurt to look at her it was so perfect.  Her face was rounder; fuller, but it looked healthier than the pictures of her.  Leah’s cheeks were a bright pink from the icy wind that blew outside the doors, but as soon as she was inside it didn’t even look like she had noticed the rain.  Her black hair was longer now; it hung down past her shoulders in a sleek cut, certain pieces around her face curled in a stylish way.  

Leah was absolutely gorgeous.  

“Mom,” she breathed, embracing sue.  She had to lean down to hug her, and even Charlie.  Seth was next, embracing his sister tightly.  Leah looked small only next to Seth; she had to be almost six feet tall, not even counting the boots.  He thumped her on the back as he hugged her, but she didn’t seem to mind as she squeezed him back.  

“Hi little brother,” she said, beaming at him.  Happiness radiated from her as she pulled away and followed Seth’s’ somewhat expectant gaze…to me. 

 x-x-x-x-x-x

No comments:

Post a Comment