Sunday, October 21, 2012

Not In Our Favor - Chapter 17 teaser!





I tossed and turned, the wine from dinner giving me a slight headache.  Sleep was eluding me.  I kept thinking of my mother and Prim – had anything changed since I’d been gone?  Of course Prim had my number; she could call me at any time.  But what if she didn’t?  I felt guilty for leaving her.  And for leaving my mother. I couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that something was wrong. 

Maybe I was suddenly too happy and it didn’t feel right. 

Figuring it was useless; I tossed back the covers and padded my way over to the balcony that overlooked the living room.  Below, the street lights shone through the glass onto Peeta as he lay sprawled on the couch.  I could see his eyes as they flicked up to meet mine.

“You awake?” he called. 

I nodded and heaved a sigh, making my way over to the stairs.  I padded down to the living room as he sat up. 

“I can’t sleep.”

“Me either.  Care if I make tea?” he asked, stand up. My eyes could see the outline of his bare chest in the darkness.  The streetlamp behind the curtains helped illuminate it just enough for me. My cheeks grew a little hot, but I had to remind myself that it was dark and he couldn’t see me. 

“Sure.”

I sat on the plush sofa, letting my toes dig into the edge of the blanket.  I smiled; it was still warm from him.  I pulled my sweater tighter around my body and waited as I listened to the kettle boil I the kitchen area. 

“Here.”  A mug, my mug, was set in front of me.  I picked it up and inhaled the steam. 

“Chamomile?”

He nodded, settling back into the sofa with a few bones cracking along the way.  “Yeah.  Always best when you can’t sleep.”

I gave him a smile in the darkness and sipped it slowly.  I could feel his leg against mine as he stretched out and propped his legs up on the ottoman in front of us.  I laughed and pulled the blanket over our feet and let myself enjoy the feeling of sitting up next to him, our legs, arms, and shoulders touching.  We were silent for a few moments, just sipping our tea when I finally spoke. 

“I had nightmares when I was there.”

He turned to look at me in the dim light, the only sound his even breaths. 

I continued.  “I dreamt some really awful things when I was….in the hospital and at the Hawthorne’s.”

Peeta exhaled slowly.  “And here?”

I shook my head.   “No, not here.  Not so far.”

1 comment:

  1. You're killing me!!! I fell in love with your story! Your writing style is really amazing... I'll be impatiently waiting for the update!

    ReplyDelete