Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chapter 31: Dirty Little Secret

 A sneak peek of the upcoming chapter....un-beta'd - any mistakes are my own and will be fixed prior to posting.  Enjoy! 



x-x-x-x-x-x-x

When the song ended, I let him pull me off the dance floor.  Our friends were still all dancing and having a good time; even Lexi had gotten Brady to give in and dance with her.  I could tell that the party was just getting started - all the little kids had long since gone to bed, and the older people were back at their tables, drinking coffee.  That was always a surefire way to tell that the party was really starting, I thought.  Leah's wedding had gone off without a hitch, and I couldn't have been happier for her.  The entire night was so flawless and beautiful so far that I felt giddy. 

“I’m hot,” I whined to Seth.  He laughed, still holding my hand in his as he walked by the bar.  Grabbing two more glasses of champagne, he handed me one. 

“Our little secret,” he laughed, taking a long swig of his.  I did the same, giggling as the bubbles slid down my throat.  The champagne didn’t make me feel drunk; just giddy and excited and really happy.  I liked it.  As if he was reading my mind, Seth chuckled and downed the rest of his.  I followed his lead, finishing off the glass.  I normally wouldn’t have drank, but…tonight felt like a celebration.  I was entering a new phase of my life, and it was one I was looking very forward too.

“Want to stand outside?  It’s cooler out there,” he said, motioning to the entrance of the tent.  I nodded, and we both put down out empty glasses.  We walked out into the cool night air, still in high spirits from the champagne and the dancing.

“Leah looks so pretty,” I told him.  The chilly fall air instantly cooled me as we walked over to where a bench was set up along the side of the huge white tent. 

“You’re pretty,” Seth joked, sitting down on the bench.  I wasn’t sure if it was the champagne or the giddiness I had felt with him while dancing, but…I sat on his lap like I owned him.  Seth’s face showed surprise, but it wasn’t unpleasant.  In fact, it was far from it.  He said nothing, but his face brightened and his arm went around my waist like it was second nature as I perched on his thigh.  I wrapped an arm around his shoulders, leaning on him easily.

“Are you drunk, Seth Clearwater?” I laughed, looking over at him.

He chuckled, shaking his head at me.  “No, just happy.”

“Whys that?”

He shook his head.  “No reason,” he said with a happy smirk.  I gave him a weird look, and he shrugged. 

“Then what’s that look on your face?” I teased.

He shrugged again, making another face at me.  His bright smile and tan face looked smug and almost satisfied; like he was keeping a secret from me…but one that he would eventually tell.  I laughed nervously, but it was a good feeling.  I secretly loved being this close to him.   His warm, inviting scent swirled around me, and I secretly hoped I smelled as good to him. 

“Tell me,” I urged, shaking his shoulder with my arm.  He chuckled again, the same smug look reappearing. 

“I was…just thinking that I’m so glad you’re happy.  You look….so happy today and just….full of….ah, I don’t know,” he stuttered, looking away.

“I am happy,” I said slowly, watching his features.  I had never been this close to him before for such a long period of time, and it was so nice.  I could see every freckle, every eyelash, every feature of his face.  I wanted to be…closer. 

He turned his face back towards mine, a slow smile appearing on his lips.  “That’s all I’ve….ever wanted…for…um, you,” he admitted, stumbling over his words.

I caught myself staring at his lips as he spoke about my happiness.  He wanted me to be happy.  Another feeling of satisfaction burned through my veins as I sat on his lap, staring at his mouth.  And then….I was drawn to it. 

“Really?” I whispered, willing my eyes to look up into his.  His warm, perfect, beautifully brown eyes. 

“Really,” he said with a gulp.  There was a sharp yet invitingly warm tug on my sternum then, as if it was being pulled like a moth to a flame.  I could feel it, but it didn’t make me panic because it was pulling me towards the only thing in the world I wanted - him.

“Only one thing could make me happier.”

“What’s that?” he whispered, his voice rough and gravelly. 

I swallowed nervously, giving into the tug.  I was tired of fighting it. 

So….I did the only thing I could do.  I stopped trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment